Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why Christmas so early???

What ever happened to Halloween and Thanksgiving??

Yesterday I ventured into a Target and I was absolutely appalled by the fact that they have Christmas decorations up already. Two measly isles for Halloween and four already dedicated to Christmas!!! I love Christmas, it's my two favorite holidays combined (I am a Christmas baby), but seriously folks, when did this holiday really get that out of hand?

It won't be long now that we will see Christmas commercials and they will get extremely irritating by the time Christmas actually gets here! It is 3 months and 10 days away and I'm already being bombarded to buy stockings, lights, cards, and other decor. Why can't I enjoy football season or Halloween? Santa has no place being an isle away from witches, ghouls, and Hannah Montana. I want to buy candy in the shape of a pumpkin, not a snowman! I start my Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving and so should everyone else.

At this rate we might as well skip right on over Turkey Day and make Christmas a two month holiday. So sorry to the Pilgrims, the cornucopias, the turkey's made out of my hand prints. Glossed over are the decorations that remind us to give thanks to all the things that we love, they are now replaced my the twinkling light-up Santa that sings Jingle Bell Rock screaming "buy me, buy me, buy me!" We need to celebrate all the great holidays, not just the ones that are retail driven. Why don't we just have the Christmas decorations up year round. I used to always get mad at people who would leave their lights up until April, but now I know that they were ahead of the curve! Eventually we will all have to mow around that Santa and his Reindeer display because the retail stores will force us to start thinking of Christmas in June!!!

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. It's the only time of year that it's okay to scare people and to have a HUGE bowl of candy in your house. For one night you get to dress up and have fun without feeling weird. You can put on a costume and pretend to be someone or something else! Thanksgiving deserves it's share too. I really do love this holiday because I get to cook and visit with family. I get to eat entirely too much and drink wine all day and never get drunk! I get to tell my family how thankful I am that I have them and oh yeah, and the four days off work isn't too bad either!

What I'm laboring to say here is, there are many more holidays throughout the year other than Christmas. This year I plan to make most of my gifts so the "subtle suggestion" behind the retail industry starting so early is completely lost on me. Don't forget the little holidays as they are just as important and carry their own traditions.

Happy FALL to you all.

No comments: