Friday, September 12, 2008

There are good things about FALL!

There are a few good reasons for the weather to turn colder again. Believe me, I hate to see summer go by the wayside, the boating, jet skiing, swimming, camping, and other outdoor-sy things are so much fun! Below is a list of things that I love about FALL.

1. Once it freezes, my allergies will calm down. As an update, over-the-counter Zyrtec doesn't work either...it cost me $20 to find that out!!
2. Football!! I love watching the sport. I love the hype around it especially when you live in a town and state that has a pro team. Tailgating, awesomely-bad-for-you food, and of course I can't wait to try out my new football shaped dip bowl!
3. Bonfires! These are great all summer long, but it's hard to sit by a fire when it's already 80 degrees and humid. The fall is great because the days still climb up to 65-70 and the nights lend themselves to cozy-ing up to a great fire with great friends. And an added benefit...no bugs!
4. Sweaters. I love hoodies! I also love a good non-itchy sweater that makes you feel good about your body! And, gone are the days that I get made fun of for wearing a sweater in the office when it's 90 degrees outside. To those teasers I say, "It may be 90 outside, but it's 65 in here and I'm freezing!"
5. Halloween and Candy!! I have a HUGE sweet tooth and I love the cheap bags of candy around this time of year! The miniature Reese's, York peppermint patties, candy corn and peanuts (I hate Salted Nut Rolls, but I love this combo...go figure), the combo bags of Tootsie Rolls, and Bottle Caps! I could go on forever. I love figuring out what I should be this year for Halloween. My friends usually put on a spectacular Halloween party where everyone dresses up. Now that I have a son, I get to go Trick-or-Treating again without all those awkward, unpleasant glares!!
6. Crunching dried leaves. I don't know what it is, perhaps my weird addiction for sounds (flipping through a book, nails beating on the table...my friends will know what I'm talking about.) I LOVE the sound of a good "CRUNCH" from a dried out leaf. Speaking of leaves...
7. The beautiful colors! The shore of Lake Superior is spectacular this time of year! The leaves are turning and rival that of the upper East Coast in their beauty. It truly is a wonder of nature!
8. Pumpkins, apples, and spice! I love pumpkins. I love carving them, I love grinding them up (actually I usually let the canned pumpkin company do that!) and making pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, and pumpkin cake. Unfortunately my husband does not like the taste of pumpkins...but that just means more for me! Apples are the best too. Caramel apples, apple pie, applesauce, hot apple cider! Who doesn't love these things!!!

Well, that's all I could muster up on this cold, rainy day. I hope that I've encouraged you to be happy about the season change and to make the most of these fleeting days of summer!

No comments: