Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Dr. Suess!

I love, love, love Dr. Suess!!
How amazing can one writer be that his books can span generations of readers! One of my favorite includes Green Eggs and Ham which was written on a wager. Dr. Suess' publisher bet him $50 that he could not write a book with only 50 words and so he did! The 50 words are:
a, am, and, anywhere, are, be, boat, box, car, could, dark, do, eat, eggs, fox, goat, good, green, ham, here, house, I, if, in, let, like, may, me, mouse, not, on, or, rain, Sam, say, see, so, thank, that, the, them, there, they, train, tree, try, will, with, would, and you.
Green Eggs and Ham was published in 1960 and became the fourth best selling English-language children's' hardcover books of all time. In 1999, the National Education Association conducted an online survey of children and teachers, seeking the 100 most popular children's books. On both the children's and the teachers' lists, Green Eggs and Ham was ranked third, just above another Dr. Seuss book, The Cat in the Hat.
I'm not too particular to the recent live film adaptations of Dr. Suess' work (particularly the Cat in the Hat with Mike Meyers and The Grinch with Jim Carrey - just creepy!) I personally think that Suess' characters were never meant to be live, thus the creep factor. Horton Hears a Who is an all animation adaptation and is one of my son's favorite movies!

Oh Dr. Suess an ode to you, if I may
You are such an inspiration for children today.
So many stories of yours to read
The fantabulous characters are there indeed.
Green Eggs and Ham and the Cat in the Hat
Just two of my favorites to read as I sat
The Grinch and the Berenstein Bears are grand
I'll never forget Brother Bobby's Banjo Bagpipe Bugle Band!
The Zizzerzizzer Zat and Wombigglefords
Just a couple of new Dr. Suess created words
I've extended some people their knowledge of you
I hope it's reached just a few more than a few
March 2nd is your 105th birthday, I say
Happy Birthday, Dr. Suess, Happy Birthday today!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love, love, love the ode to Dr. Suess. He is as big a hit in our house today as he was when I was little. Our school celebrates his birthday with Dr. Suess week. My My 5th grader was in a tizzy this morning when she found out that only K-4 gets to do the fun dressing up activities! YEAH! for Dr. Suess!

autumndaesy said...

My favorite is One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. Hilarious! Cuz when I wish to wish for fish, I wish for fish on my Ish wish dish! I also love the star-bellied Sneeches. Too funny!