Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Thank goodness this day is here – and nearly over! I for one cannot stand another smear commercial about those running for political office! Whatever happened to letting people know what you stand for? If I listened to those commercials, I would have no idea who to believe, what to think, or what they stand for regarding the politicians in my state. Here are a few of my biggest pet peeves this election.
The money spent on smear ads.
It really makes me sad to think of all the money that is being spent on TV ads with half truths about other candidates. Tell me what YOU plan to do about the economy or the housing markets. Tell me what YOUR stance is on health care and education. I do not care if you used to be on Saturday Night Live or if some rich guy buys you suits. If I had a dollar for every commercial I heard about someone not being "fit for office" or someone else having "Bush politics" I would be able to put on my own Obama-mertial (which happens to be another example of money “well” spent.) The most unfortunate thing is I think most people really do get their opinions from these commercials and head to the polls miss-informed. That is the true travesty of our nation. No one bothers to do any research when making a decision.
You know what would really impress me, if someone ran a commercial saying exactly what they plan to do while in office and then donated all the leftover campaign funds to a charity. Now that would get my vote.
“Bush Politics”.
This concept that George Bush has his own set of politics and that he has such a commanding grip on the entire GOP that everyone within that party is a drone working solely to help out Bush and his ideology is completely ridiculous. Enter our right to vote leaders into office that will do the best job regardless of whether they are DP or GOP.
Everything is the [enter current presidential party here]’s fault because the current president is [repeat party name here].
Congress currently has a democratic majority. (In the 2006 election the Democratic Party won the majority for the first time in 75 years. In 2007 the Democrats gained the majority seats in the Senate - www.senate.gov and elections.foxnews.com). This means that the Democratic majority Congress and the Republican President had to be in agreement in order to pass things into law. I am no expert, but I'm pretty sure that if the president made all the decisions all by himself we would no longer be a democracy. Last I checked we were still in the United States of America. I’ll sit back and let anyone blame Bush, but when people start to generalize everyone into the same category, that’s where I get heated. It’s like saying “Oh, you’re from Ohio? I know a guy from Ohio that robbed a bunch of people. That must mean that you are a robber too.” This type of sweeping statement is just ignorant. Everyone should get a fair chance. Oh and by the way, Bush did win the last election so if you want to place blame, talk to the voter majority in 2004.
People that make fun of McCain because he can’t raise his arms above his head.
Seriously? Would you make fun of someone that lost a leg in Iraq? Would you make fun of someone that has burns scars all over their face as a result of an IED attack? NO! I don't know anyone, not even the most cynical person can ethically or morally do that. Click here or here to read the facts about why John McCain has limited mobility in his arms. I just want people to know that regardless of your political views, John McCain fought for many years and suffered at the hands of captors for our country. At the very least we can honor him as a POW and the war hero that he is and refrain from laughing at his limitations.

I've never voted for someone because of their party affiliations. I always vote for the person that I think will do the best job. Now go out and make an INFORMED vote!!

Whew, I think I should lay off the coffee on Election Day.

No comments: