Monday, January 11, 2010

My Son The Negotiator

The Prince has become quite the negotiator lately. Everything has a "but..." after it.
"Can I have some marshmallows?"
"Not right now, we're going to have dinner."
"But, I will have just one now and then have dinner."
What?!? Where does he get this stuff?
I am sure that I'm at least partly to blame. I'm always playing the bribe game.
"If you eat all your lunch, we can take a bath later!"
I tried this gem today, "Let's eat lunch and then we can clean up the living room!" (with as much excitement as I could!!)
The Prince replied with, "I will eat lunch and then play with Playdough." Obviously I was going to have to take a different angle!
We recently just spent hours upon hours in the car. He was even negotiating his potty breaks!
"Mommy, I will go potty and then we will watch a movie." I would listen to the same movie over and over again in the car as long as I don't have to listen to whining!
He's really quite good. Even I can't argue with his logic sometimes. I just hope that he can put those wonderful skills to a good use someday!

1 comment:

autumndaesy said...

The prince's cousin is another master negotiator:
Mom: Eat your dinner
DD:How about just the chicken?
Mom: The chicken and veggies.
DD: Half the veggies, half the chicken and half the rice?
Mom: All the veggies and half the chicken.
DD: 10 bites of veggies, half the chicken and I'll throw in 5 bites of rice.
Mom: Done.