Monday, August 24, 2009

Birthday update.

I mentioned a few days ago that it was my husband's birthday back on the 14th. I planned to make Pad Thai for dinner that night and bake a blueberry ginger cake for dessert served with cinnamon ice cream. Here's how the rest of the day went down...

4:30 p.m. - I had a pretty crappy afternoon at work so I definitely did not feel like slaving away on a dinner for the next two hours let alone spending about $25 on ingredients I didn't already have on hand. I figured for about the same price we could go to my husband's favorite hole-in-the-wall-totally-skeevy Thai restaurant that surprisingly has great food.

5:30 p.m. - still waiting for the husband to get home from carousing with his cousins.

6:00 p.m. - finally the husband is home and we are off to Grand Ave.

6:15 p.m. - I really should have known better. Grand Ave in Saint Paul is one of those kitchy neighborhoods that used to be a slum and is now all the sudden really hip and cool. We get to the location and Josh says "hmm, they must have changed the name." It did dawn on me that the name changed because the owner changed and it looked really over-the-top hip, but I didn't say anything.

6:25 p.m. - we found a parking lot and successfully navigated the busy street (what with a 2 1/2 year old and pregnant wife that can't run it took some navigating, let me tell you!) We walked into the tiny restaurant and I knew that we were in for a surprise. It was a little warm, but manageable at the time. The hostess asked where we would like to sit...um...how about those tables outside that looked lovely and comfortable in the evening breeze. NOPE, those are reserved. Okay, then why did you ask us where we wanted to sit since the only other table available was right next to the kitchen and bathroom. I asked the hostess how long this establishment had been open, "oh, we've been open forever! I've worked here for at least a year." I guess when you're 18 a year is forever.

6:26 p.m. - we sat down and the Prince thought it was really cool. You see this place was so hip that the tables were placed into holes in a raised platform. Sort of like sitting on the ground and as comfortable as it sounds.

6:30 p.m. - the waiter finally comes out with waters and menus. Four minutes with a busy little child seems like an eternity. My husband asked the waiter if the place had recently come under new management (we knew that it had at this point, we just wanted some vindication!) He said that the gal that owned it purchased it from a old couple about 2 years ago...approximately the last time my husband had patronized the place. This made complete sense to me. Well, we were already here and I was hungry so we approached the menu with trepidation. My upper lip is starting to sweat.

6:35 p.m. - we ordered (me being frugal) the cheapest entree on the menu and an extra plate for the Prince. I looked around for a sign of air conditioning, but didn't see any.

7:00 p.m. - seriously melting away!! This place was so hot inside that I thought I was going to pass out (okay, I exaggerate slightly for effect). Thankfully the door opened every once in a while and let a small breeze in. I tried to eat as fast as I could, but when you're that hot you just aren't hungry! I pondered the thought process behind the owners decision to build a platform table out of 2.5" particle board (the husband was astonished they would use that thick of wood 'cause apparently it's expensive) rather than installing some sort of air conditioning. I guess Thai food is best eaten in it's original Thailand weather...sweltering!

7:15 p.m. - the waiter asked us if we were interested in any dessert, but I just needed to get the heck out of that place so we gracefully declined and asked for our bill.

7:25 p.m. - my ice water is long gone as well as the ice out of the husband's empty soda. I'm trying desperately to keep the Prince from dropping his toys down the crack between the wall and the table while the husband eavesdrops on the near by table of ladies that have had just a few cocktails (it wasn't difficult!) GETTING ANGRY!

7:30 p.m. - Finally! The waiter brings out our bill and I ask for change.

7:35 p.m. - the waiter brings our change. I can see why this took five minutes because the register was all of about two feet from our table. He's obviously a veteran as I had $30 in change and he brought me a $20 and two $5's...silly boy. Had you brought me some $1's I would have left you at least a decent tip (I wasn't about to leave him a $5 which is exactly what he wanted). As it was I scrounged to find change to leave him 10%...serves him right for making us wait for ever.

7:37 p.m. - we finally escape out the door right as the party that reserved the outdoor seating arrives. Figures.

I must say, the egg rolls were pretty damn good and I'm not a fan of egg rolls, however, I'm never going back there again.

As for Josh's cake, he loved the soft and sweet flavor, but I completely forgot about the ice cream and we ended up eating it for breakfast the next morning. The recipe would make great muffins!

No comments: